Wednesday, July 13, 2005

All The Moral Clarity Of A Hamster On Crack

This appallingly dull, self-obsessed, utterly interest-free wad of parentwaddle from G2. When will the people stop thinking we're keen to read about the utterly unremarkable minutiae of exactly how they had their kid? The range of variation in exactly how white middle-class Westerners who write for newspapers and magazines have their kids is so straitened as to be statistically nonexistent.

This one wants us to acknowledge how Cool and Independent she was for getting knocked up by a one-night stand and deciding to have the sprat, but not going over all needy with the da: 'I explained why I had made my choice, how I had arranged my life, and said that I would not ask for child support, or anything at all, but if he wanted to know his son he should get in touch.' Which, hmm, yeah, except that once the kid was born she blatantly emotionally blackmailed the father first into weekly webcam visits, then into moving to England from Australia to be his son's father. Cool and Independent my ass; Selfish and Manipulative more like.

But of course you know what really stokes my furnace in this little scrap of mama-puff:
I am pro-choice. But I believe that abortion is terminating the path to life of a foetus which already carries in it the potential to become a fully-fledged human being; not killing a baby, but stopping a person's life before it has begun.

I could not do that.
OK, will someone please tell me, what the fuck does that even mean? That statement is about as ethically coherent as a blancmange. Terminating the path to life? A foetus which already carries in it the potential to become a fully-fledged human being? The fuck is she nattering about? At what point would it not already have that potential? Surely an unfertilized egg has that potential, requiring only union with a sperm to actualize it. As does the sperm. As do the undifferentiated cells that will one day become the sperm and egg. &c.

She's just saying words, words that sound serious and thoughtful and morally weighty, strung together more or less at random to slap a moral gloss on the real reason she kept the baby:
I had always wanted to have a child one day. And, although the circumstances weren't ideal, this one had come along.
Ah, there we go. Not ethical commitment to the 'path to life' of a potential human being, just plain old broodiness. Which, you know, fine. Nothing wrong with that, besides being rather unimaginative (but that's just my prejudice talkin'). If she gets her joy from doing 'maternal things - bake cakes, make pottery, grow radishes, have friends from school for tea and games', more power to her. Better her than me.

But let's not gussy up our nesting instincts with nebulous, untenable moral fripperies, shall we? These subterfuges do not become us.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com