Thursday, April 21, 2005

Good Old Pacific Northwest

from Wash. Senate rejects gay civil rights bill:

Olympia, Wash. -- A state Senate bill that would have banned discrimination against gays and lesbians in housing, insurance and jobs was rejected Thursday by a single vote.

The legislation appeared dead earlier this month when it was sent to a committee. But the Senate on Thursday allowed the measure to come up for a vote, and it was narrowly rejected 25-24.

Sen. Jim Hargrove, a Democrat, said he opposed the measure for religious reasons.

"I believe adultery is wrong; I believe sex outside marriage is wrong; I believe homosexuality is wrong," he said. "I cannot give government protection to this behavior."

That's a Democrat, people. Let's be clear. It's 2005 and a Democratic state senator in Washington has opposed a gay civil rights bill. Oh how I can't wait to return to my beloved Homeland and bask in the Security.

Update: And in one of those lovely little too-good-to-be-true ironies history occasionally delights in chucking our way, I am pleased to report that Spain has just legalized gay marriage. Yes, that's right, Spain. All you queer Seattlites, you know what you have to do.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com